Subject: Re: Boot up m68k Mac (Re: NetBSD PPC)
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/09/1998 20:12:54
At 16:46 Uhr +0200 09.06.1998, SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

>Since Hauke Fath made available floppy drive in NetBSD
>(Cool!), it's not impossible to make self-contained native
>NetBSD boot floppy.

Right; but you'd have a hard time telling the Macintosh ROMs to seriously
look at your FFS floppy...  it does not help you here.

Some time ago, someone pointed out that the ROMs want a HFS partition out
there.  So you have to have a MacOS style partitioning on your boot disk,
at least.

Comes to mind: Why waiting till Macsbug is loaded and executed? I'd think
the hard disk driver is loaded and executed much earlier. As I see it, the
big road block is still setting up the hardware ourselves the way the ROM
code does it. Way to go...

	hauke