Subject: Re: NetBSD PPC
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
From: Kevin Ogden <kkb@ddw.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/1998 19:27:39
At 02:29 PM 6/8/98 -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Kevin Ogden wrote:
>
>> From what people have been telling me, the PCI PowerMacs use proprietary
>> Apple FunkyOpenFirmware.
>
>Apple has documented their OpenFirmware implimentation to a certain
>extent in the following three technotes:
>
>http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html
>http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1062.html
>http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1044.html

I was skimming through the technotes there and I have a few questions (uh
oh)...

Ok, it says to have the OpenFirmware console come up you need an external
terminal and hit command-option-o-f.
Will it come up if you don't have an external terminal?

I dug a little deeper and noticed a AIX mentioned a couple times.  Will a
PCI PowerMac boot AIX (not including the AppleServer series)???

Is Apple OpenFirmware read/write like Alpha SRM ROMs?  If it is,
theoretically you could develop a patch to patch the ROMs to allow booting
of BSD from OpenFirmware instead of a MacOS boot extension/app.

--

I don't have a PCI PowerMac (just a bunch of old 68k's and an 8100/80AV) so
it's kinda hard for me to play around but if anyone has one they want to

		Kevin