Subject: Re: NetBSD PPC
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/1998 14:22:51
On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, David A. Gatwood wrote:

[snip]
> I think the key here was correct and complete.  For instance, the G3
> PowerMacs, unless the recent models have fixed the problem, can't boot
> from their internal IDE drives via OpenFirmware because of an OF bug.  I
> read in the MkLinux sources that... either the 6400 or 6500, I believe...
> didn't return certain information about the IDE drives... to which Michael
> Burg's comment was fudge it.  I'd almost bet that they cut corners in
> other places as well, and that other bugs exist....  :-|

All <http://www.linuxppc.org/install/g3/> says is "It looks like there's a
bug in the Open Firmware in the Power Mac G3s. We're tracking the issue,
and will report back here as soon as possible."  There is no mention of a
problem booting off the internal IDE drives.

--
Nathan Raymond
http://www.everythingmac.com