Subject: [ANN] NetBSD/mac68k floppy driver available
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/1998 00:30:23
Hi list,

I am pleased to announce the availability of a NetBSD/mac68k floppy driver.

I have uploaded the following files to ftp.macbsd.com:

MANIFEST		a list of all files
GENERICIWM.gz		GENERIC/ncrscsi 1.3.2 kernel with iwm floppy driver
GENERICIWMSBC.gz	GENERIC/sbc 1.3.2 kernel with iwm floppy driver
IWM.o			Floppy driver Loadable Kernel Module
iwm.tar.gz		Driver sources and patch files
lkm.conf		Example for /etc/lkm.conf
MacBSD_ROM.sea.hqx	Diagnose tool

You can get them by specifying the whole path, e.g. from NetBSD
"ftp ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/private/hauke/MANIFEST" ; "dir" will fail, the
private directories are not world-readable.

The driver comes in two flavours:

1. In-kernel driver
Unzip one of the GENERIC* kernels, rename it or hard-link "/netbsd" to it.
Then get "./sys/arch/mac68k/lkm/iwm/iwm-makedev.sh" from the "iwm.tar.gz"
archive, run it as root to create /dev/fd0a and friends, and reboot.

2. Floppy driver LKM
You have to be able to build your own kernels.
Get machdep.c-1-3-2.diff or machdep.c-1-3-E.diff from
"./sys/arch/mac68k/lkm/iwm" in the "iwm.tar.gz" archive, depending on your
kernel sources, cd to sys/arch/mac68k/mac68k and patch machdep.c. Build and
install the kernel (make sure it is configured with LKM -- see README).
Then, move IWM.o to /usr/lkm, activate loading of LKMs from /etc/rc in
/etc/rc.conf and create an entry for IWM.o in /etc/lkm.conf (see example).
Make devices like above, reboot.

Insert a formatted 800k floppy, su to root, "newfs /dev/rfd0a", "mount
/dev/fd0a /mnt", play around, "eject fd0", have fun.

The iwm floppy driver is known to work on the SE/30, the IIsi/ci and the
Q700. It does NOT work on IOP machines (IIfx, Q900/950, Q840AV, Q660AV?)
due to different hardware. It also fails to work on a Performa 630, so I
expect difficulties on CLASS_Q2 machines. If you experience difficulties,
please get "MacBSD_ROM.sea.hqx", run it and send me the output.

Special thanks go to Neil Parker for documenting the Apple IIgs floppy
hardware, to Allen Briggs for pointing out a nasty thinko that had cost me
/usr/libexec and /etc during development, and to Scott Reynolds for
implementing kgdb support on mac68k. I have not been able to use it as
-current does not cut it at all for me, but the announcement motivated me
to move the driver sources back into the kernel which lead to squashing the
last big bug.

And last, but not least thanks to the NetBSD community for a great project.

Have fun and report bugs,

	hauke