Subject: Re: PPP DOD Dials Modem in middle of the night.
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: David Leonard <leonard@csee.uq.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/1998 00:11:18
part of daily does a netstat to record whats going on and some addresses are
resolved, kicking off a packet to your nameserver and triggering a pppd
iin demand mode. (at leastthat is what happens here)

I simply ifconfig the ppp device down before i go to sleep. you get
some ns_forw errors on the console but that is cheaper than a wasted
15 minutes of isp time. i've been thinking of making a little tcl/tk program
to make this easier...

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Paul Goyette wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 17:12:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
> To: rgfischer@mail.hac.com
> Cc: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: PPP DOD Dials Modem in middle of the night.
>
> Probably trying to contact a DNS nameserver...  Make sure that you have
> everything you could possibly want to resolve in your /etc/hosts file,
> and make sure that resolv.conf lists "lookup file bind" (putting "file"
> first)!
>
> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998 rgfischer@mail.hac.com wrote:
>

> >      I started using PPP Dial-on-Demand in the not too distant past.
> >      Now I've noticed that at around 3:00 am, my computer has been dialing
> >      up my ISP and then staying connected until it times out 15 minutes
> >      later.  I'm assuming that this is happening when the daemon processes
> >      send their nightly reports to Root.
> >
> >      Since they don't try to access any external sites (just sending mail
> >      to itself),  How can I get this to stop short of turning off the modem
> >      at night?
> >
> >      Thanks,
> >      Roger

> | Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
> | Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
> | and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |

David Leonard                           David.Leonard@csee.uq.edu.au
Dept of Comp. Sci. and Elec. Engg       Room:69-605  Ph:+61 7 336 52447
The University of Queensland            http://www.csee.uq.edu.au/~leonard/
QLD 4072  AUSTRALIA                     E2A24DC6446E5779D7AFC41AA04E6401

"Why Windows NT Server 4.0 continues to exist [...] would be a topic appro-
priate for an investigative report in the field of psychology or marketing,
not an article on information technology." http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt.html