Subject: Re: Cable Modems?????
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Yves De Muyter <yves@vlaanderen.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/1998 19:13:11
>ok, I was under the impression that this was a new cable modem.  I don't
>care at all about the MacOs setup, but the cable installers do which is
>why I mentioned it.  Is your friend wanting to use the PPC mac and the
>NetBSD mac at the same time with the cable modem?  If so he needs 2 ethernet
>cards in one machine and that machine needs to act as a gateway for the other.
>
>I think that the mediaone system actually looks at the hardware address
>of the ethernet card, but maybe thats only for systems with dynamic IP's

Many cable-modems limit the number of network-hosts on a LAN to 1. They do
this by saving the MAC address (has nothing to do with Macintosh, it's a
unique Ethernet address). When you plug the cable-modem into another
network-card, you should reset the cable modem (Our LanCity modem has to be
unpowered for 15 minutes before it gets reset) before plugging it in
another network-card.

Yves
--
"It was like a visit from Don Corleone. I expected to find a bloody
computer monitor in my bed the next day."