Subject: Help with -current on Q610
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Joyce <robjoyce@Princeton.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/04/1998 22:09:14
Hi all,
	I just downloaded the May 30th snapshot in order to take advantage
of some of the new fixes, etc., but I can't seem to get the system to boot
now into multi-user: it hangs at the "starting network daemons: lpd
sendmail xdm" line.  Thinking it might be xdm causing the problem, I
disabled it in etc/rc.conf; this just made the machine hang at "starting
network daemons: lpd sendmail".  In either case, the panic switch will not
even activate the debugger; I have to physically reboot the machine to
regain control.
	Curiously, after each of these hangs, the filesystem becomes
damaged in a way fsck doesn't seem to detect:  it goes through it's normal
paces on the next reboot, fixing maybe 5 or 6 problems, then the system
panics with "Bad magic: ld.so" after the normal "adding interface aliases:"
line.  Trying to reboot into single-user after this causes seg. faults or
bus errors on nearly everything.  (I have to reinstall base.tgz to try
again.)

System info: Quadra 610, full '040, 20mb RAM with 60mb swap and 600mb root
partitions on a Fireball 2 gig drive.  I had previously been using 1.3.1
without any trouble at all.

Any ideas what might be causing this?  Thanks...

_Rob