Subject: Re: Calculator keypad
To: None <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/04/1998 13:39:16
On Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:40:54 -0400 (EDT),
Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net> wrote:
> I just noticed today that my calculator keypad exhibited some odd
> behaviour. I never use it normally, but I was playing with it and got some
> interesting results.
> All the keys seem to work as expected, except the '+' key. It prints a
> ','. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using a refurb IIgs keyboard if
> it matter.

I've verified this.  I thought it would be a keymap bug in the server,
but oddly, it seems to happen only in xterm window.  Well, I found the
following code fragment in xterm/input.c:

#if OPT_SUNPC_KBD
		/*
		 * DEC keyboards don't have keypad(+), but do have keypad(,)
		 * instead.  Other (Sun, PC) keyboards commonly have keypad(+),
		 * but no keypad(,) - it's a pain for users to work around.
		 */
		if (!sunFunctionKeys
		 && sunKeyboard
		 && keysym == XK_KP_Add)
			keysym = XK_KP_Separator;
#endif

This is the only place the keypad `+' can be replaced by a comma.

I compiled xterm myself from the current xsrc as of May 11, and it
does not exhibit the symptom.  It's probably a misconfigured parameter
in NetBSD.cf or something that's been fixed in the current.

Ken