Subject: Re: Xservers: which is better?
To: None <dearman@telebyte.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/03/1998 13:38:11
On Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:20:15 +0000,
Mark DeArman <dearman@telebyte.com> wrote:
> I was installing X windows on to my LCIII, 25Mhz 12MB Ram 730MB Hd
> NetBSD 1.3.1, and had a question.
>
> There are two Xservers for download on the MacBSD page.  One is XFree86
> and the other is OSF.

Excuse me?  AFAIK, there are two servers (apparently Colin removed his
Xmac68k_color from ftp.macbsd.com), the one on ftp.netbsd.org is part
of the official X distribution for NetBSD/mac68k, and the other on
ftp.macbsd.com is my unofficial color server, codenamed `OSFA' which
stands for "One Server Fits All".  Neither is exactly an XFree86
server in real sense though NetBSD bases its X source on XFree86.  Nor
is either related to Open Software Foundation in any sense.

> Which one of these is going to run faster in my situation?

Definitely the official one since it does only B&W.

> Does one have more compatibility with OSF/Motif then the other?

No difference at all.  This is not a server issue.

Motif is a commercial product while NetBSD is a free software,
therefore Motif is not bundled with NetBSD.  You must purchase it from
OSF if you intend to develop software (or even just to compile other
people's programs) with Motif.

There is an intended-to-be replacedment for Motif, called Lesstif but
it doesn't seem to be up to its promises just yet.

Ken