Subject: Re: problem booting on IIsi
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Brahm Windeler <rahm@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/1998 12:01:59
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Brahm Windeler wrote:
> > my mac IIsi has 5MB RAM, 80MB hd, 12" Apple color display.  the hd is
> > partitioned with 50MB for Root&Usr, 15MB for swap, and about 15MB for HFS
> > (on which i have installed a bare-bones system 7.6.1 and the booter).
> >
> > the problem i having is that the boot process hangs at the following
> > point:
> >
> > [preserving 323048 bytes of netbsd symbol table]
> > Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
> > Getting mapping from MMU.
> > System RAM: 5210112 bytes in 1272 pages.
> >     Low = 0x4000000, high = 0x43f8000
> >     Low = 0x8000, high = 0x100000
> >     Low = 0x43f8000, high = 0x4400000
> >  no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfee08000
> > Done.
> > Bootstrapping the pmap system.
> > Pmap bootstrapped.
> > Moving ROMBase from 0x40800000 to 0x9f9000.
> > Video address 0xfee08000 -> 0xbf9000
> >
> > i've tried playing around with the options, but haven't been able to get
> > any further than this.  i would appreciate it if you could help in any
> > way.
>
> hmmmm....you are using internal video, right?  IIsi's have trouble booting
> otherwise.  Have you tried booting with extensions off?

yep, using internal video.  there's no nubus card in the machine.  i've
tried booting with extensions off (it probably doesn't make a difference
anyway as i don't have any extensions installed).

as a side note, after taking the cover off the machine to check for
anything in particular and putting it back on, then trying to boot in
single user mode, i got all the way through the boot sequence.  i've been
unable to get it to that point again, so i might have to blow some more
dust off the ol' mother board again.  *grin*

-brahm