Subject: Re: src files
To: None <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/1998 11:14:47
>On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, endgame wrote:
>
>> 	I am also experiencing two other problems (which may be related)
>> 	2) in c-shell (or sh for that matter) I can't run any programs
>> that I compile myself (they say command not found, even when I'm in the
>> same directory)  any ideas?
>
>Assuming you're root, by default, the local directory isn't in your path,
>to ensure that you don't accidentally run rogue programs or whatever.
>That having been said, I suspect that most ppl add it to their path
>anyway....  At the end, preferrably, so it's searched last.
>
>You can execute programs in the local directory by explicitly specifying
>their exact path or by preceding the program name with "./" (w/o quotes).
>If you want to add the . directory to your search path, with sh, you could
>add the line
>
>export PATH=$PATH:.
>
>to .profile or whatever.  I forget the syntax for csh and derivatives.

set path=($path .)

csh seems to automatically export this; you shouldn't need a separate setenv.

BTW: After adding programs to the directories in your path, you may need to
type "rehash" to get csh to recognize them, or restart csh. I don't think
you need to rehash after changing the path variable, though.

--
- Rolf Braun - rbraun@cstone.net - http://www.cstone.net/~rbraun/
- Sassy Software: cool software for your Macintosh or Apple IIgs

- Anyone attempting to post messages or send e-mail using my address without
- my permission will be held liable for forgery and subject to legal action.