Subject: Re: problem booting on IIsi
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Brahm Windeler <rahm@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/1998 10:15:48
On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> >* BTW, why are you using System 7.6.1?  I didn't think that it would
> >* even work with '030 machines.
> >
> >I don't think 7.6.1 is a problem with 030s, i use it, and even with
> >extensions enabled, i can boot straight into BSD...
> >
> 7.6.1 works on all 030's except those which have ROMs that aren't 32-bit
> clean (i.e. Mac II, IIx and IIcx).  This is what I have observed. Please
> correct me if I'm wrong.

i chose to use 7.6.1 because the system i had running on it (7.0.1) was
becoming unstable and i needed to reinstall it.  however, i soon realized
that the floppy drive was starting to fail.  i have system 7.0.1 on
floppies, but i also have 7.6.1 on cd.  i checked www.everymac.com (great
site!) to see what versions of the operating system runs on the IIsi.
7.6.1 was listed, so i hooked up an external cd drive and installed it.
as a side effect, the system doesn't crash (as often) while reading a
floppy anymore.  i don't know if the old system was just corrupt or if
there were a bunch of bug fixes in the later version.

-brahm