Subject: Re: Booter fails to find kernel
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/1998 11:22:55
SamMaEl wrote:
>			For instance, I will try to test a new kernel named
> netbsd.BRAHMS-6, and when I try to boot it from the booter... the booter
> says it's not there. ;-) Incidentally, it has never failed to boot a
> kernel named netbsd.

	Hmmm. Is this repeatable? It could be the "directory hole" bug
that Ken found.

	I suggest that you copy a few extra kernels into /, e.g.:

netbsd		netbsd1		netbsd2		netbsd3
netbsd.old	netbsd.1	netbsd.2	netbsd.3

	and verify that all of the non dotted names work, and that
all of the dotted ones don't work. If this is the case then I will
do some further diagnosis.

>		I've not looked at the Booter code, and even if I had
> I don't know enough about the interaction between the booter and the
> NetBSD file system to help any,

	There is a routine find_file() in read_ufs.c of the Booter src
package which does all of the work. It simply does a strcmp().

	I will try to release a Beta of Booter1.11.3 this weekend for
folks to test a bit for me.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "reality is that which     |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  |  doesn't go away when you  |