Subject: Re: src files...
To: endgame <Brendan.D.Burns@williams.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/1998 15:31:45
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, endgame wrote:

> 	I am also experiencing two other problems (which may be related)
>
> 	1) Users (other than root) cannot write to the disk.  vi will only
> open read only and mkdir as well as redirection '>' say permission denied.
> Root however can write fine.

My first guess would be that the user doesn't have write permission in
that directory.  Try using chown to change the directory's owner to that
user or modify the /etc/group file to create a group of users that you
want to share write access to a directory or directories, and use chown to
change the group ownership for the directory, then use "chmod g=rwx
dirname" to make sure they can write in the directory

ex.
chown dgatwood myhomedir

chown :users publicdir
chmod g+rwx publicdir

> 	2) in c-shell (or sh for that matter) I can't run any programs
> that I compile myself (they say command not found, even when I'm in the
> same directory)  any ideas?

Assuming you're root, by default, the local directory isn't in your path,
to ensure that you don't accidentally run rogue programs or whatever.
That having been said, I suspect that most ppl add it to their path
anyway....  At the end, preferrably, so it's searched last.

You can execute programs in the local directory by explicitly specifying
their exact path or by preceding the program name with "./" (w/o quotes).
If you want to add the . directory to your search path, with sh, you could
add the line

export PATH=$PATH:.

to .profile or whatever.  I forget the syntax for csh and derivatives.

If it's giving the same behaviour as users other than root, you could
change it pretty much globally in /etc/profile or /etc/cshrc or whatever,
I suppose.

David