Subject: Re: problem booting on IIsi
To: Brahm Windeler <rahm@engin.umich.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/1998 09:07:33
Brahm Windeler wrote:
> hope you can help...
>
> i'm having a problem booting netbsd on my mac IIsi.
>
> i just downloaded version 1.3.2 mac68k distribution from the ftp site.  i
> also downloaded all the macintosh based install files.  the kern.tgz and
> kern_sbc.tgz couldn't be unpacked, so i had to download the version 1.3.1
> kernel.

could you try this again?  you're the second person to report this, but i
just logged into the ftp server to check it and it unarchived just fine.
are you sure you transferred it in binary mode?

> my mac IIsi has 5MB RAM, 80MB hd, 12" Apple color display.  the hd is
> partitioned with 50MB for Root&Usr, 15MB for swap, and about 15MB for HFS
> (on which i have installed a bare-bones system 7.6.1 and the booter).
>
> the problem i having is that the boot process hangs at the following
> point:
>
> [preserving 323048 bytes of netbsd symbol table]
> Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
> Getting mapping from MMU.
> System RAM: 5210112 bytes in 1272 pages.
>     Low = 0x4000000, high = 0x43f8000
>     Low = 0x8000, high = 0x100000
>     Low = 0x43f8000, high = 0x4400000
>  no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfee08000
> Done.
> Bootstrapping the pmap system.
> Pmap bootstrapped.
> Moving ROMBase from 0x40800000 to 0x9f9000.
> Video address 0xfee08000 -> 0xbf9000
>
> i've tried playing around with the options, but haven't been able to get
> any further than this.  i would appreciate it if you could help in any
> way.

hmmmm....you are using internal video, right?  IIsi's have trouble booting
otherwise.  Have you tried booting with extensions off?  BTW, why are you
using System 7.6.1?  I didn't think that it would even work with '030
machines.

you might want to take a look at the FAQ, it contains a list of common
problems to check for when you have trouble booting:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

i hope this helps.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation