Subject: Re: Problem booting Centris 650
To: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/1998 12:56:46
On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, William R. Dickson wrote:

> I'm setting up my new system with two disks.  sd0 contains a MacOS
> partition and a 100mb swap partition (sd0b).  sd1 contains root (sd1a) and
> usr (sd1g) partitions.  My fstab looks like this:
>
> /dev/sd1a       /               ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd0b       none            swap    sw 0 0
> /dev/sd1g       /usr            ufs     rw 1 2
> kern            /kern           kernfs  rw 0 0
> proc            /proc           procfs  rw 0 0

[snip]

> There is no sd1b for root to dump on.  I expect this is the problem, but
> I'm not at all sure how to convince it to dump on sd0b instead.

I didn't have any luck selling that idea, either. It seems that NetBSD
really wants, and expects, to have a swap partition on the boot drive.
It's perfectly all right to have two swap partitions, though, and then you
get the benefit of parallelism. With two swaps, the load gets split evenly
between them. For a similar reason, you might want to put your /var on the
other drive. And a spare root could come in real handy, too.