Subject: Problem booting Centris 650
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/1998 10:16:19
Hi all,

I've been using a single-disk IIci for NetBSD for a couple years with
great success.  Now I'm trying to set up a Centris 650 to replace it, and
I'm having a problem.

I'm setting up my new system with two disks.  sd0 contains a MacOS
partition and a 100mb swap partition (sd0b).  sd1 contains root (sd1a) and
usr (sd1g) partitions.  My fstab looks like this:

/dev/sd1a       /               ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b       none            swap    sw 0 0
/dev/sd1g       /usr            ufs     rw 1 2
kern            /kern           kernfs  rw 0 0
proc            /proc           procfs  rw 0 0

I can boot single-user and mount root and /usr with 'mount -a' without
problems.  However, if I attempt to boot multi-user (or "exit" from
single-user mode to allow it to continue to boot multi-user), it hangs.  I
get no feedback when exiting from single-user mode, but when I try to boot
straight into multi-user, I see the following at the end of the dmesg
messages:

boot device: sd1
root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
PRAM: 0x354642db, macos_boottime: 0x354642ca.
root file system type: ffs

There is no sd1b for root to dump on.  I expect this is the problem, but
I'm not at all sure how to convince it to dump on sd0b instead.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Bill

--
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 wrd@awenet.com  <>  http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/  <>  VNB3T, VSC1T, VSX1T

  I can take my Cuisinart apart in the dark and put it back together in
  seven minutes.  Not that I need a Cuisinart.  I can prepare dinner for
  twelve with a cigarette lighter and a sharp stick...as long as I have
  fresh cilantro.

                     "The Woman Who Does Everything Better Than You"
		     -Nicole Hollander