Subject: Re: Apple Ethernet NB available.
To: Ken Nakata <Mario_Magliocco@broder.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/28/1998 20:10:14
Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp> wrote:

>Not to keep you from selling the card, but I had to modify the sn
>driver to get it to work on a IIci (I was close but I didn't get it to
>work completely).  It has some problem becoming a bus master device, I
>think.  The stock sn driver requires that the SONIC chip read/write
>system memory as a bus master.
>
>Naturally, considering that it doesn't work completely, my changes
>didn't make it into the source tree.  They are probably sitting
>somewhere in Scott or Allen's hard drive as well as in my hard drive.
>:-)
>
>You can take a look at the card to see if there is(are) some static
>RAM chip(s).  If so, it's probably the same model I had trouble with.
>
>I would be glad to hear that I was mistaken, though.

Ken,

There appear to be at least two variants of this card.  The one I have
has been running with the sn driver for over a year without any problem.
I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the two though.  If it
would help I'd be happy to take a picture of mine and send it to you.
Oh, my card is in a Performa-550 running NetBSD and it happily talks to
my PPC Mac which also has the same type Ethernet card installed.

-bob