Subject: Re: su to root fixed
To: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/28/1998 13:37:09
At 10:55 PM -0500 4/27/98, Greg Dunn wrote:
>I wasn't able to su to root from my user account (in group wheel).  I
>checked the obvious things a zillion times, and it turned out to be that
>the executable "su" didn't have the SUID on execute bit set!  I sure don't
>remember messing with the executables in userland after installing (except
>for a few that I installed by hand, later).  Was there a "base" archive
>with mode problems at any time in the last 4 months?  The current archive
>looks OK (I just untar'ed it and looked at the directory)...

I just setup a second IIcx with NetBSD 1.3.1. This time I partitioned the
computer with a separate /usr partition. The installer ignored the second
partition so I had to move everything in /usr over to that partition
myself. The only bad effect was that "su" didn't work. I checked everything
over and over, but I couldn't find anything wrong. I came to the conclusion
that su was damaged, so I got "base.tgz" and unpacked it on top of my
current setup. After I read this message I realized it was a sledgehammer
fix to a tweezer sized problem. :-)

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com