Subject: Re: Ethernet card questions
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/28/1998 10:02:50
At 7:05 PM -0500 4/27/98, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

>An aside, however .... I have observed in the MacWarehouse catalog that
>the graphic used for two of the four network card brands (Asante, Dayna,
>Sonic, and Farllon) is (or appears to be) a PDS card.  Considering that
>PDS is the oldest interface, isn't it curious that it should be so
>prominently featured?  Or is it simply a matter of using an old, old
>graphic?

I don't have a MacWarehouse catalog to check, but I'm guessing that the
cards you see pictured are PCI cards. PCI is the primary expansion bus for
new Apple hardware and is very popular on other manufacturers' computers.
PCI cards and PDS cards use the cheap edge of the epoxy circuit board
connectors, which is why they look similar.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com