Subject: The esp driver
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/28/1998 09:59:05
Some folks have seen the quick version of the esp driver give them errors
that look something like:

dmaintr: discarded 32 b (last transfer was 2544 b).
esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 83, step 4] prevphase 0, resid 9f0
sd0(esp0:0:0): esp0: timed out [ecb 0x6baa8d0 (flags 0x3, dleft 9f0, stat 0)], <state 4, nexus 0x6baa8d0, phase(c 3, p 3), resid 0, msg(q 0,o 0) >
sd0(esp0:0:0): esp0: timed out [ecb 0x6baa8d0 (flags 0x43, dleft 9f0, stat 0)], <state 4, nexus 0x6baa8d0, phase(c 3, p 3), resid 0, msg(q 20,o 0) > AGAIN

Mehmet Orhun SEYMEN <o52931@sumela.ktu.edu.tr> has noticed that if he
disables the read/write cache on the hard drive, this problem does not
occur.  Also, I believe that this does not occur if you're not using the
pseudo DMA/Turbo SCSI/Quick SCSI option.  I don't have time to look into
this right now, so if there's anyone who does have some time and
inclination, I encourage you to look into this.  I will be happy to help
out and answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
-allen

PS.  I wonder if this is also the problem with the ncrscsi driver...
     That is, I wonder if disabling the cache on drives that cause
     problems with ncrscsi would allow them to work properly.

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com