Subject: Re: Wear & Tear and power concerns
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/27/1998 20:34:05
 8:29PM  up 3 days, 22:10, 1 user, load averages: 1.14, 0.78, 0.63

Not much, but it is better than "hours"...

I run a P600. It's years, and years old. Since about 4 or 5 years ago.
It's a bit more sturdier make than the P5XX (ie: not composite, and
metal casing). Since I first got it, I would average about 12-15 hours a
day.

Once I got NetBSD, it went 24/7. That was about 2 years ago, almost. There
were spurts of time when it wasn't 24/7. Most noteably, in the past year
it's been on continously (barring the occasional loss of power), and the
reset button in the back is pushed in so it will reboot automatically...

To tell the truth, I am getting a bit scared. I feel my fan is starting to
die (sometimes it makes a loud noise), and maybe my hard drive is wearing
low (same hard drive all this time). But it still keeps on chugging! I'm
sure I could get maybe 3 more years of 24/7 out of this baby before I'd
have to get a new fan or hard drive...

What can I say? The IIvx case design was one of the last of the greatest
from Apple, IMO. Since then, they've been getting kinda cheap to keep up
with PC clone prices...

This is all MO, of course :)

Hope this input helps in some way...

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

> So ... I have had NetBSD installed on a P550 for over a year now.  Up
> until recently I didn't keep it running for very long periods of time (all
> day, overnight at best) becuase it was my only machine, and I needed to
> use the MacOS to Get Things Done.  I have NetBSD because I like Un*x and
> because I like Macs and therefore it is incredibly neat to have both
> together.  That's why I hijacked my fiancee's network connection and
> downloaded the whole system in the frist place.
>
> Things have changed now, and with a new PPC on which to play with MacOS,
> the 68k machine sits idle more and more of the time.  My long range goal
> is to use it [the P550] almost exclusively for NetBSD, but some nagging
> concerns slow my steps toward that conversion.
>
> For those who don't know, this is an all-in-one or composite Mac.  As
> such, I can't power down the monitor and leave the cpu running under
> NetBSD.  I am concerned not only about my electric bill but also things
> like power surges/storms and equipment lifespan.
>
> I'm not looking to get into the debate about whether it's better to leave
> computers running all the time or to turn them off when idle.  I would
> just like to hear from people -- particularly those using other composite
> machines -- about running for long periods of time.
>
> In closing I should add that I presently have no need for the machine to
> be running 24/7, but there's something about having an uptime expressed in
> days rather than hours that appeals to me.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeffrey Ohlmann

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
The polite thing to do has always been to address people as they wish
to be addressed, to treat them in a way they think dignified.  But it
is equally important to accept and tolerate different standards of
courtesy, not expecting everyone else to adapt to one's own
preferences.  Only then can we hope to restore the insult to its proper
social function of expressing true distaste.
		-- Judith Martin, "Miss Manners' Guide to
		   Excruciatingly Correct Behavior"