Subject: Re: 8/24 Nubus Card
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1998 22:13:59
> > > No, its not a GC, just a plain 8/24.
> >
> > off topic here - what video modes and resolutions is this card capable of
> > doing?
>
> The most common version supports 640x480 at 8 bits, and with 2 256k VRAM
> SIMMs installed, 24-bit (UNaccelerated non-busmastered 24-bit, really
> slow!)  According to the MacLiberty DB-15 to VGA adapter documentation,
> the Rev.  B version of the card will support 832x624 and 1024x768
> fixed-res, but I haven't verified this.

the reason i am asking is that i have the opportunity to buy one of these
cards fairly cheap, and want something other than 640x480...not that i
don't know how to find the modes and resolutions.

i currently have (but am loaning to a friend) a macintosh display card
670, which does 1-bit, 2-bit, 4-bit, 8-bit, and 24-bit in 640x480 only (no
16-bit). is this actually the "8/24" card you all speak of? or is this
something else? (i notice the card isn't called the "8/16/24", just
"8/24", as if it was incapable of doing 16-bit)

i never tried slotman kernels with it, but i do remember the color video
lkm causing the system to panic right after the video modes were loaded.

thanks,

  - a