Subject: Re: Nubus-only video on a IIci - not possible?
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1998 15:55:43
Nathan Raymond wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, E. Seth Miller wrote:
>
> > Nathan-
> > 	I have been running a IIci for about 10 months, using the 4/8 card
> > instead of the internal video.  I find that, as long as I have a monitor
> > hooked up to the 4/8 at boot, the machine runs fine (displays properly,
> > &c.).
>
> REALLY?  Whoa, that's different than what I get.  Are you running 1.3.1?
> Let me make this clear:
>
> 1. I'm booting System 7.5.5 with a monitor on the 8/24 card, set to black
> and white (card has enough VRAM to support millions).
> 2. I boot NetBSD 1.3.1, serial console active.
> 3. The 8/24 screen doesn't clear, NetBSD boots.

Since the serial console is active, the above is normal.

> 4. If I move the monitor to the internal video port, its not active!

Of course not.  You booted without it, so no internal video was ever
setup.  I don't quite think you can do this under MacOS and have it work,
either, but I've never tried it....

> I haven't setup X to see if it recognizes teh 8/24 card yet.

Other than looking at the boot message, that's about the only way you're
going to know whether or not the card works.  When you boot via serial
console, all the output goes there.

How well does it boot with the NuBus video selected and not on
serial-console?

> > However, if I subsequently attach a monitor to the internal port, I
> > get no display, of course, because the internal video found no monitor and
> > was not enabled.
>
> Makes sense, though I'm suprised that NetBSD willingly boots with no local
> console!

Oh, it's got a console, more or less.  As long as there is video hardware
present, I believe that it'll boot.  The problem comes on a IIcx when you
remove the NuBus video card :-)

> > It sounds like your internal port is functioning as it
> > should; the problem deals with your 8/24.  I presume all is well to boot
> > into MacOS, and that it simply never goes to the white screen of the
> > console?
>
> Right.

Have you tried running it without the serial console attached?

Later.