Subject: Re: Nubus-only video on a IIci - not possible?
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1998 14:01:30
> > Since the internal video of the IIci shares memory with the rest of the
> > machine, if you turn off internal video or fail to hook up a monitor to
> > the monitor port the memory map chnages enough to confuse NetBSD.
>
> Is it confused to the point where there is effectively no display in this
> case?

It's confused to the point where it won't boot NetBSD :-)

Actually, from recent messages it seems that the memory map problem only
occurs if you have a 1 meg SIMM in Bank A. If you put a larger SIMM in
bank A you can boot with nothing on the internal video with no problem.

> Well since I'm actually planning on running the machine headless, I don't
> care about internal video at all.  Actually, if it really isn't
> initializing DRAM video at all, I can live with serial console, since it
> will be headless and I want the performance gain of no DRAM video.  Am I
> understanding this correctly?

Not quite. Your options are as follows:

- Try putting a 2 Meg or larger SIMM in bank A and trying to boot headless
  avoiding the DRAM video slow-down

OR

- Putting a monitor adapter or rig a paper clip to make the machine think
  there's a monitor on the internal video port and deal with the DRAM
  slow down.