Subject: Re: XF86Config?
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1998 12:01:12
> At this time, there are no provisions for setting the
> resolution of the Mac video.  Michael Zucca is working
> on it for internal video, but it is not yet ready.
>
> For any of the X Servers that run on NetBSD/mac68k, the
> only resolution you can run in is whatever it was set
> to at the time you booted.

Correct. The video "drivers" we have in the kernel right
now only map in the frame buffer. No other functionality
is provided.

I am working on providing switchable resolutions but in
the first rev the support will be for resolution modes
only rather than directly tunable resolutions. I'm
working on a more generic way to set resolutions, a la
the XF68K generic frame buffer (and, no I did not mean
XF86, I mean XF68!)

However, it is important to note that some machines are
capable of doing this sort of advanced video twiddling
and some are not. Most notably, machines with Quadra
style video are capable of very fine tuning while
machines like the 630 can switch resolutions but only
in certain modes and finally you have machines like
the IIvx which fix their resolution depending upon
what kind of monitor is hooked up. NuBus cards are
yet another story, though they will likely fit into
one of the three catagories above.