Subject: Re: color X on SE/30 with RasterOps 264/30 ?
To: None <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1998 13:27:41
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 23:28:16 -0400 (EDT),
mrz5149@cs.rit.edu (Michael R Zucca) wrote:

> The SLOTMAN kernels try to use routines stored
> on your card's ROM to allow the X server to
> change modes and change the color map.
> You'll need a "color-kit" X server to use
> SLOTMAN. You can also get that kind of
> X server off of ftp.macbsd.com.

Actually, "OSFA" is based on Colin's "color-kit" server code, and
intended to include all the features it has.  Although I have never
been able to test it myself, it should work with Paul's SLOTMAN kernel
as well as with others.  When it detects SLOTMAN/video_lkm's presence,
and it is told to run in 8 bit-per-pixel color mode or lower (excl.
1bpp), it uses the API for color map operations.

I know some people are having trouble with OSFA in lower color depths
(like 4 bpp), well, and in higher color depths as well.  But AFAIK
they also have trouble running Colin's color server, so the situation
hasn't changed for them as far as color X goes.

If any of you has trouble running OSFA server even though you have no
trouble running Xmac68k_color (Colin's) server, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ken