Subject: Re: color X on SE/30 with RasterOps 264/30 ?
To: None <usman@nwu.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1998 23:28:16
> Can NetBSD/mac68k 1.2 do color X on an SE/30 with
> a RaterOps 264/30 colorboard installed? I can get
> monochrome ok - how do I get color?

1.2 is *really* old. You should consider upgrading
to 1.3. Any efforts on color are happening in 1.3
(I should know, I'm one of the people working on it)

Well, if the card does "thousands" of colors then
if you boot in "thousands" mode you can just use
Ken's OSFA color X server. You can pick that up
on ftp.macbsd.com. For gosh sake, read the
README that comes along with the server at least
three times to make sure you understand it! :)

If you can't do "thousands" of colors then you'll
need to use a special kernel and X server.

Try using the SLOTMAN kernels at:

ftp://ftp.whooppee.com/pub/slotman

The SLOTMAN kernels try to use routines stored
on your card's ROM to allow the X server to
change modes and change the color map.
You'll need a "color-kit" X server to use
SLOTMAN. You can also get that kind of
X server off of ftp.macbsd.com.

The downside of SLOTMAN is that it doesn't
always work with random combinations of cards
and machines. Sometimes it simply crashes
and sometimes it works great. Don't be
afraid to experiment!

Good luck!