Subject: OSFA X Server dumps core
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/21/1998 18:36:46
The OSFA server for mac68k, downloaded from ftp.macbsd.com, dumps core on
my machine at any resolution except B&W. I have a Performa636 + real 68040
with 36M, using a custom kernel compiled against -current sources.  I've
tried the 1.3.1 X distribution, and then I built X from sources, no
difference. Here is the result of `startx &> startx.log', from bash.

  /usr/libexec/ld.so: symbol __sys_errlist at 0x4227d54 in
  /usr/lib/libc.so.12.26 changed size: expected 332
  , actual 320
  /dev/grf0: Couldn't get video mode information via ROM driver.
          This is not a fatal error.
          I gather there is no ROM driver support for this screen...
          I will treat this screen as StaticGray or TrueColor.
  Screen 0 at 0x4235000, 640 by 480, 16 bpp, rowB 1280, fbbase 0xb69000.
  _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
  giving up.
  xinit:  Connection refused (errno 61):  unable to connect to X server
  xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

The segmentation fault doesn't get logged, but there's no doubt that's why
xinit can't connect. I've seen the ld error before, with packages built
from earlier versions of libc, but it never caused a segmentation fault
before. In fact, I also get that same error after booting in B&W, but then
X works OK.