Subject: Re: just outta curiousity...
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1998 20:27:21
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> >On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:15:41 -0500,
> >"Michael G. Schabert" <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com> wrote:
> >> Hi there NetBSD/Mac gurus,
> >> I have an opportunity to get a Mac SE/30 fairly cheap, & I had a question
> >> that I'd like to bounce off any current owners. Has anyone ever tried
> >> installing RAM of greater density than the 4 MB SIMMs that Apple
> >> recommends? Will the machine recognise them, & can it address more than the
> >> 36 MBs Apple publishes as the Max?
> >
> >Uh?  I'm pretty sure SE/30 can hold up to 128MB RAM (8 16MB 30-pin
> >SIMMs).  Besides, even if it couldn't take 16MB 30-pin SIMMs, the
> >maximum would be 32MB (8 4MB 30-pin SIMMs) since SE/30's logic board
> >has no DRAM chip soldered.
> >
> >And of course, you CANNOT put DIMMs or 72-pin SIMMs into your SE/30.
> >It can take only 30-pin SIMMs.
>

> Yeah, I knew that I hadta use 30 Pin SIMMS ;-). In my haste, I had assumed
> 4 MB soldered, you're right in pointing that as incorrect. Looking right
> now at Apple's Spec Database dated 2/98, it lists the Max RAM as being 32
> MBs with (8) 4MB SIMMs. From what people seem to be saying, though, Apple
> just didn't mention that it could also use higher-density SIMMs.
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Mike

If it hasn't been mentioned already, and if it isn't in the FAQ already,
the best single way to get info on RAM upgrades and hardware
configurations of nearly all Macs and clones is Newer GURU, a free
download.  I consider it essential software.

http://www.newertech.com/software/guru.html

BTW, I don't work for Newer, I just maintain http://www.everythingmac.com

--
Nathan Raymond