Subject: Re: FPUless libm
To: None <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1998 10:31:27
On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 01:35:25 -0700 (PDT),
SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com> wrote:

> Btw, can someone explain just what not adding the code in
> libm/arch/mc68881 will do to make programs run better on a FPUless
> machine. I guess I'm thinking you would need MORE code to take care
> of the lack of an FPU...

The source files under libm/arch/mc68881 assume the presence of the
FPU so the functions use FP instructions as much as possible.  Some of
the instructions aren't well supported by FPE.

By not adding the mc68881 specific files to the list of object files,
the generic libm functions written in C without any processor specific
instructions are used instead, so the libm functions calls no FP
instructions EXCEPT a few (fmovem, fmove, fadd/sub/mul/div, fbcc, and
fscc... I think that's it).  Libm actually has MORE code when compiled
WITHOUT mc68881/*.s than it does when compiled with them.

Ken