Subject: Re: Quadra700 & NetBSD
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1998 17:38:20
Armen Babikyan wrote:
> Today i decided i was getting bored with the hardware i already had, so i
> went out and bought a Quadra 700 (25Mhz 68040) for $150. the machine works
> fine as far as i can tell.

I've got one.  It works just fine for me :-)

> can i use the GENERIC#0 1.3.1 kernel on this system? it's running the
> 1.3.1 snapshot.

It should work just fine, although if you've never compiled your own
kernel, now is a great time to start learning how if you have the disk
space.  My Q700 takes less than 2 hours to compile a kernel from scratch,
so it's not much of a chore.  You can really prune the kernel config file
down a bit since you don't need a lot of the stuff that's in there.

> also: the machine has an AAUI port on the back. i have talked to a few
> people today and they told me getting a NuBus interface was a better idea
> for ethernet because AAUI was only 5Mbps. i don't know if i believe that
> it really is 5Mbps, but i'd like to know if getting a Nubus card reduces
> the load average in general, or is faster.

That sounds like BS to me.  I've never heard of such a silly thing.
They're probably thinking of SCSI.  I believe the external SCSI interface
on Macs is only 5MB/s or something horribly slow like that.

The sn driver and the SONIC chip should be faster than a NuBus-based
DP8390, I believe.  I haven't decided to shell out $35US for an adapter
yet, tho, so I'm currently using the Asante card that I stole out of my
dormant IIci.  However, I intend to put it back when I get the adapter.

> as far as i can tell, X does not yet work on quadras (or at least color
> maybe). so i guess all those questions should come later.
> thanks,

Well, if you have enough VRAM for 16-bit color, Ken's latest OSFA server
should provide you color support.  I think it'll handle 8-bit greyscale as
well.  Personally, I'm using a NuBus video card while I await Michael's
new internal video code :-)

Later.