Subject: Re: X, 1.3.1 and -current questions
To: None <ebkrauss@ls.wustl.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1998 04:01:48
On Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:26:28 -0500,
"Eric B. Krauss" <ebkrauss@ls.wustl.edu> wrote:
> I am running NetBSD with a 1.3 kernel.  I have a few questions:  should I be
> running the 1.3.1 kernel, or the -current kernel, and what is the difference
> between those two (or all three).

Actually, this question is unanswerable.  There is NO *the* current
kernel.  There can be any number of current kernels since the source
tree is updated daily.  You don't expect us to explain all the
differences that everyday's changes made, do you?  There's a mailing
list for just that purpose, though.

> It
> sems that most of the FAQ's are tailored towards experienced users, and
> leave out a lot of necessary information that "newbies" would need.  I used
> to use UNIX in college and in law school, but I don't know anything about
> administering it, and the FAQ's just aren't complete enough for me (or many
> others, I suspect).

Because it's not the FAQ's purpose to teach the newbies about
everything there is to UNIX system administration.  To learn it, you
should read a book.  This information is in the Meta-FAQ at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/meta-faq/meta-faq.html

Of course you could ask experts your questions, but the questions
would be better answered if they were specific rather than the "give
me everything" type of questions like you are asking.  Remember, we
may be experts on NetBSD/mac68k but a lot of us aren't experts on
teaching people things.  By making your question specific, you can
make it much easier for us to answer and help you.

Ken