Subject: Re: multiple partitions...
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1998 14:19:40
On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> OK, I think that I found the problem...remember when there were problems
> with rc when users had to add a / as an argument to the fsck line in rc
> during one of the upgrades? Well, I had left mine so that that line read

That was a sort of a problem with fsck that occurred if you didn't use
tar's --unlink option when upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3, or if you used
the Installer to extract base.tgz (I think)... to see if your system
still has the problem, do:

  ls -l /sbin/fsck /sbin/fsck_ffs

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   57344 Apr 10 16:35 /sbin/fsck
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  172032 Apr 10 16:36 /sbin/fsck_ffs

Make sure the second column is 1 and the file sizes are different.
If the second column is 2, the base distribution wasn't unpacked
properly.

> into NetBSD, I'll try to crash the system to test. On that note, anyone
> know a "safe" way to mark a filesystem unclean? I know that I could just
> force fsck to check anyway, but that defeats the purpose of testing my rc
> ;-).

Hmm, maybe you could "shutdown now" to go to single user mode, remount
all of your filesystems read-only (mount -ur each of them), perhaps
"sync" and wait a bit, then Ctrl-Cmd-Power (or hit the reset switch,
etc...)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++