Subject: Re: multiple partitions...
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1998 11:12:54
On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> Hmm, here's my fstab...please see if you can spot any errors:
> /dev/sd0a	/	ffs	rw 1 1
> /dev/sd0g	/home	ffs	rw 1 2
> /dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
> kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
> proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0

I don't see any errors. What I would expect that to do, after a crash, is
fsck root, then fsck /home, then mount everything. Is that what it does?
There's no opportunity for fsck to do anything in parallel unless there
are secondary partitions on more than one drive. Here's mine

/dev/sd0a       /               ffs     rw        1 1
/dev/sd0b       none            swap    sw        0 0
/dev/sd1b       none            swap    sw        0 0
/dev/sd0b       /tmp            mfs     rw        0 0
/dev/sd1a       /mnt            ffs     xx        1 2
/dev/sd1g       /usr/xsrc       ffs     xx        1 2
kern            /kern           kernfs  rw        0 0
proc            /proc           procfs  rw        0 0

fsck doesn't do any parallel checks now, either. sd1 is a removable drive.
At this moment, it's all swap, but I used to have it partitioned into
root, swap, and user. While I was setting up my current drive, I still
booted from sd1, with an fstab like this

/dev/sd1a	/		ffs	rw	1 1
/dev/sd1b	none		swap	sw	0 0
/dev/sd0b	none		swap	sw	0 0
/dev/sd1g	/usr		ffs	rw	1 2
/dev/sd0a	/mnt		ffs	rw	1 2
kern		/kern		kernfs	rw	0 0
proc		/proc		procfs	rw	0 0

Only then, fsck would have both drives going at the same time.