Subject: Re: multiple partitions...
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1998 10:32:56
Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com> wrote:

>I know the virtues if you use 2 drives...my question was more concerning
>why you'd want to partition a multi-gig drive, for instance, like I've read

When I tried to make one large partition on my 8Gig drive (under MacOS) I
got complaints that System didn't support large partitions.  I wasn't
sure how this would affect the disk Partition Map, so I opted for two
partitions.

>Bob Nestor thinks that possibly binary/kernel synch could be part of the
>problem. I'm about to switch which drive I use for NetBSD, so I'll be doing
>a clean -current install fairly soon (weeks), which should help fix things
>:).

Could also be a problem of a utility that got moved from /sbin to
/usr/bin or vice versa. This caught me once right after upgrading to 1.3.
 Also I think the command line options to fsck might have changed and not
everyone remembers to manually upgrade their /etc files when doing a
wholesale upgrade of their system.

-bob