Subject: multiple partitions...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1998 09:40:03
Hi guys, I have a coupla questions concerning multiple NetBSD partitions...
first off, if they're on the same physical drive, what's the point? What
does it benifit you to partition the drive? I can see how it could be used
in conjunction with quotas to provide a hard-and-soft limit on the amount
of space that a user can use, but for "normal" users who aren't concerned
with "outsiders" taking up room on our systems, how's it help? I'm under
the impression that the BSD filesystem does not have the shortcomings of
the MacOS, so you won't get any more "usable" space. Will it help speed at
all, even though it's still just kinda logically dividing up by
directories, which we're likely to do anyway? As far as I can see, the only
reasons to do this are 1) what I mentioned earlier, and 2) so that if 1
part gets hosed, you can be sure to just hafta reinstall that particular
part.

Now, after all that drivel, a question would be: Why does rc mount non-root
partitions AFTER running fsck?? Because of this, anytime I reboot by
"nonconventional" means, I must manually go into single-user mode to fsck
the partition, since in rc it'll complain that it's not clean. But rc takes
care of doing that to the root partition on its own. It would seem to me
that if it mounted the automount partitions first, then it could do its
parallel fscking (assuming partitions on separate physical drives).

Thank you for your insight in advance,
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.