Subject: Re: Kernel source size....
To: None <erich@wrq.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1998 11:57:31
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:18:14 +0900,
"Eric R. C. Holcomb" <erich@wrq.com> wrote:

> I'm considering doing some kernel customizing but have very limited
> space on my Mac.  How large is the kernel source and development
> environment together?

If you delete the source files of the other ports (everything under
src/sys/arch except src/sys/arch/{m68k,mac68k} subdirectories), the
entire src/sys hierarchy takes up about 23MB of disk space (the entire
kernel source tree for *all* ports is taking about 50MB on my box).

About 5-6MB *per kernel config* is necessary for compiling kernels.

I've calculated these numbers with du and current source tree as of
yesterday or so.  YMMV.

Also, the above concerns only the kernel source tree.  You should
install the comp set in order to compile anything at all.  Plus, if
you are going to follow the current development, you should keep at
least /usr/bin/make and /usr/sbin/config up to date.  And, of course,
you should subscribe to current-users list if you chose to follow
current.

> Since my space is so limited, I've considered putting the source on
> my linux box and exporting it via NFS.  Can the Generic kernels
> mount an NFS?

I think it can.  GENERIC config file has both NFS client and server
options in it.

Ken