Subject: Re: Installer proposal (timezones)...(My waste of Bandwidth)
To: None <mr_krak@televar.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1998 01:29:40
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:42:57 +0100,
Greg Evans <mr_krak@televar.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/98 4:21 AM, havenerk was rumored to have said:
> >I, too, thought all the timezone info was a little bit drawn out at
> >install.
[...]
> Regarding all this timezone stuff, call me crazy, call me stupid, but
> what is the big deal with time?

Nothing.  Deleting *all* zoneinfo files from the base set would save
only 83K+ out of 9M.

> why don't we just make it so everyone has to learn GMT and then make it
> so that the GMT can be adjusted in 1 minute intervals? <g>

Hm, it doesn't sound so crazy to me.  Installer could ask the user for
her timezone specs (offset from UTC, whether or not to use DST, etc.),
then generate an appropriate /etc/localtime file on the fly, if it's
so important to save less than 1% of the base set.

Ken