Subject: Re: Sluggishness, part 2
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1998 12:39:25
> Where is named? If there is no named, where is your DNS going from
> /etc/resolv.conf?
>
> If you have no named and no resolv.conf everything that wants a name or
> number is going to hang.

Good point. DNS, however, is not the problem. As I wrote in the previous
incarnation of this thread, name lookups continue to work normally. For
one thing, Internet clients on the machine behind the NetBSD box get the
usual excellent IPFiltered access to the outside net. For another thing,
my Mac telnet and mail clients are very clear about the status of name
resolution, and upon attempting to open a connection to the NetBSD
machine, they indicate that it occurs right away. Unfortunately, no data
gets transferred. :(

- Amitai

--
Gardner's Law: Eighty-seven percent of all people in all professions
are incompetent.