Subject: Re: Installer proposal (timezones)...(My waste of Bandwidth)
To: Greg Evans <mr_krak@televar.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1998 09:32:08
Greg Evans wrote:
> On 4/15/98 4:21 AM, havenerk was rumored to have said:
>
> >I, too, thought all the timezone info was a little bit drawn out at
> >install.  Of course, I'm a meteorologist who is quite used to dealing with
> >only one time zone--GMT.  Any way to perform the install to GMT, then
> >allow users to diddle with the locality issues later?  Besides, my mac is
> >a rotten timekeeper in any timezone!
>
> Regarding all this timezone stuff, call me crazy, call me stupid, but
> what is the big deal with time?
>
> why don't we just make it so everyone has to learn GMT and then make it
> so that the GMT can be adjusted in 1 minute intervals? <g>
>
> I know that is ridiculous, but this timezone thing has me laughing my ass
> off.

Believe it or not, the original point of all of this was that the
incredible number of zoneinfo files contributes to the rather large amount
of time taken by a MacOS-based install.

The real solution is to get a NetBSD-based install working, not to attempt
to pull things out of base.  I've seen people try the latter a number of
times in the past and strong objections are usually raised by those
poeple who make the decisions around here.  I think that the base set will
stay the way that it is for a fairly long time :-)

Later.