Subject: Re: Installer proposal...
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1998 11:37:19
And don't forget, there are several areas where local time isn't offset
by an exact number of hours from GMT.  Some Pacific Ocean time zones are
offset by (some number of hours plus) 30 minutes, and one or two by 15
minutes, IIRC!

And then, there's the time zone that contains the Internation Date Line.
One time zone, but two different date/times...

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> > >:-)  Of course, what happens to the poor schmuck in Antarctica who
> > >installs NetBSD on his machine and finds that he can't find the
> > >appropriate timezone files?
> >
> > But _why_ do we need so many darn files when there are exactly 24 time
> > zones????? Even if we had 24 "regular" and 24 "DST" it would be much easier.
>
> You would think that there are only 24 timezones, but there aren't.  Due
> to the brilliance of local governments, there are quite a few oddities out
> there.  For example, in the US, I don't think that Arizona obeys DST, so
> it needs a separate one.  All of Russia is one hour behind normal
> timezones IIRC.  There are a number of other little exceptions here and
> there :-)
>
> So, they are necessary.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |