Subject: Re: Give up LC and trying ClassicII
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1998 11:15:35
Marc Coevoet wrote:
> Colin Wood wrote:
> > Classic II ADB support now works in -current, I think (if not, John has
> > some patches for HWDIRECT support that should get it working).  However, I
> > believe that the Classic II still has internal video support problems, so
> > I'd be surprised if any recent kernel booted past the screen change.
> >

> I have no problems with HW#360 kernel from jpw on a Colour Classic.

The Color Classic and Classic II are very different machines, tho.

> However, the problem with newer kernels persist (at adb-level, no
> internal video problems.)  I am about to download the sources and
> build my own kernel, since I know that the classic still is classified
> as a IIsi machine, while it needs cuda-chip drivers in the adb sources.
> There is somewhere a large case where 'gestalt' 49 should be moved
> to the cuda 'switch'.  (and maybe the LCII, classic II is in the same
> position, other similar machines are the performa 400-430).

Have you looked at a -current kernel?  There have been some changes in
this area.  Also, John's patch is actually for the Color Classic (not the
Classic II), so if you add that to a HWDIRECT kernel, it should fix the
ADB problems you're seeing.

BTW, you might want to have a working reply-to address....

Later.