Subject: pkg_add bug?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Joyce <robjoyce@princeton.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1998 00:50:01
Hi all,
	I just inadvertently came across what is likely a pretty nasty bug
in pkg_add (although I haven't looked at the source, so I can't tell for
sure).  Anyway, here is what I executed:

robjoyce % sudo pkg_add -f ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/pack \
ages/1.3/mac68k/x11/kdelibs-2.1b.tgz
^CSignal 2 received, cleaning up..
pkg_add: unable to open table of contents file `+CONTENTS' - not a package?
^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C
robjoyce %

Basically, I interrupted the package addition very shortly after it
started; when it came to the "cleaning up.." message, the drive made more
noise than I expected, to I hit ^C a few more times.  Well, by the time it
returned to the prompt, my entire home directory was gone!!!!  Needless to
say, I'm a bit frustrated -- luckily, I have a backup from a few days ago.
When I say "gone," I mean that the /home directory had no subdirectory for
me any longer!

Has anybody experienced this wierdness before?

Recovering,
_Rob

(I used the -f flag in pkg_add because it tried to install a dependency
which I already have, but in a newer version.)