Subject: Re: Just got pdisk partially working under NetBSD-mac68k!
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1998 19:15:52
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Some disk formatters build partition maps larger than the number of
> partitions actually created.  As I recall Apple's utilities do this, but
> most other 3rd party formatters don't. That can be a real problem with
> pdisk.  A solution is to re-format your disk and create many HFS
> partitions, then convert them to "Free" with pdisk.

HDT (at least, the old version that I'm still using) let's you actually
modify the size of the partition table partition!  And it'll move the
driver partition around to make room for the new partition table
partition.

Just take a brand new disk, with an empty partition table (actually, it
won't be empty, it'll have the partition table and driver partitions,
but nothing else).  Then, create a small no-name, no-type partition that
is exactly the size by which you want to increase the partition table,
then create another partition that takes up the rest of the disk.  Then
delete the small partition, and change the size of the partition table.
Lastly, delete the "rest-of-disk" partition, and you're ready to make as
many partitions as you desire.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |