Subject: Re: Just got pdisk partially working under NetBSD-mac68k!
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1998 08:50:33
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Bob Nestor wrote:

> SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp> wrote:
>
> >I have a question...  In the way of Apple's partition
> >scheme, partition map grows as new partition is added.
> >(duh!) Pdisk had some problems for handling this "growing
> >partition" when I played with pdisk under mono-linux on a
> >Power Mac a couple months ago.  So I gave up to port it to
> >NetBSD in that time.
> >
> >Haven't you been experienced with this problem?
>
> Some disk formatters build partition maps larger than the number of
> partitions actually created.  As I recall Apple's utilities do this, but
> most other 3rd party formatters don't. That can be a real problem with
> pdisk.  A solution is to re-format your disk and create many HFS
> partitions, then convert them to "Free" with pdisk.

If the third party partitioners are really wedging HFS partitions right up
against the last partition table entry, then... well, they're broken.
That would make it impossible for you to ever add partitions to the drive
after it's formatted.  I wouldn't call that a pdisk problem, as any
formatter would choke unless it knew how to move partitions out of the way
(which is a bit dangerous...).  ;-)

If, on the other hand, they're just setting the size partition table to be
small, but leaving free space at the end, pdisk can always resize the
table.

David