Subject: Re: Just got pdisk partially working under NetBSD-mac68k!
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1998 06:30:33
SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp> wrote:

>I have a question...  In the way of Apple's partition
>scheme, partition map grows as new partition is added.
>(duh!) Pdisk had some problems for handling this "growing
>partition" when I played with pdisk under mono-linux on a
>Power Mac a couple months ago.  So I gave up to port it to
>NetBSD in that time.
>
>Haven't you been experienced with this problem?

Some disk formatters build partition maps larger than the number of
partitions actually created.  As I recall Apple's utilities do this, but
most other 3rd party formatters don't. That can be a real problem with
pdisk.  A solution is to re-format your disk and create many HFS
partitions, then convert them to "Free" with pdisk.

-bob