Subject: Re: Reinstallation not working anymore
To: None <macpro@shani.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1998 12:01:05
On Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:57:28 -0400,
Maurice Hason <macpro@shani.com> wrote:

> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
> pos = 0, i = 279, fs = /
>
> I get this error every time exactly at the same point, right after this line:
> drwxr-xr-x 3/7		0 Thu Jan 01 07:22 1998 ./usr/include/g++/gen

I think this is the same thing covered in the FAQ:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/faq.html#ss4.12

> P.S. I partitioned it 2GB for the root, 2GB for the usr, 1GN for the swap
> and I left the rest of the space free, unformatted.

2G for root, another 2G for usr, and 1G for swap?  Frankly you are
wasting your disk space.  A swap of 1G will never get used up.  Having
2G for root when you have a separate usr is too much, too.

There are two kinds of directory hierarchies, and the key to use
separate partitions successfully is to identify the two; i.e. The ones
that don't grow as you continue to use the system and/or add optional
software, and the ones that do grow.

Some of the hierarchies that can grow as you continue to use the
system are:
	/var		(if you install optional software with the
			package system)
	/usr/pkgsrc	(if you install optional software with the
			package system)
	/usr/local	(if you install optional software not with the
			package system)
	/home		(where your home directories are)

These are good candidates to give separate filesystems, and you will
probably want to give them as much as you can so they won't run out of
space soon.

On the other hand, / without var, usr, and home doesn't grow to take
more space as you continue to use the system.  Neither does /usr
without pkgsrc and local.  So you can give them disk space just enough
to hold them (maybe plus some 20-100% extra space to be safe).

If you aren't confortable with identifying the classes of filesystem
hierarchies, it would be probably safer to use just one partition.

As for swap, it is recommended that you keep the following equations:

	swap >= RAM
	RAM + swap >= 40M

So for example, if you have 32MB of RAM, 32MB swap will suffice.
Note, however, that this is a RECOMMENDATION, not a requirement, so
you CAN get by with less swap space than this.

Ken