Subject: Re: IDE Support & How to find the base address ?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1998 18:17:43
On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> That's a consequence of using -x1 with newfs. Without it, all the blocks
> get used, but the system crashes. I did it both ways a couple of times to
> be sure it was real. All I can think of now, is that there's a problem
> with a single block somewhere on the drive. Perhaps, by scrambling things
> up, that block is being avoided, for now anyway. I'm not so sure about
> that either. On another drive, the Nomai 540M that I used to boot NetBSD
> from, a block was replaced automatically, just the way it's supposed to.
> vis, I got a media error from reading one file, consistently, but it went
> away after rewriting that file. Never crashed.

Hmm. It could be:

1) NetBSD never re-writes the block, so it never gets remapped. Maybe it's
in one of teh ffs overhead structures?

2) Somehow block remapping got turned off. ??

As a test, if you can get netbsd to boot off of another partition, just
zero out the whole file. I think copying /dev/zero to the raw partition
will do that.

Take care,

Bill