Subject: System Lock-up (oops let's try again)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1998 10:45:25
I've been using my SE/30 with NetBSD 1.3 as a router using IPNAT without
any problems.  My local LAN consisted of the SE/30 running NetBSD and a
Centris 610 running Mac OS 8.1 and all connected with Ethernet.  There had
been no problems doing telnet, web-browsing, email or FTP except for an
occasional overflow.

Apr 2 00:01:07 scooter /NetBSD: zstty0: 2 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods
Apr 2 00:02:07 scooter /NetBSD: zstty0: 1 silo overflow, 0 ibuf floods
Apr 2 00:03:07 scooter /NetBSD: zstty0: 1 silo overflow, 0 ibuf floods

Last week I added a G3 to the system.  When I started internet access, from
the G3 through the SE/30 running NetBSD, it came crashing to a halt.  No
errors, no overflows, nothing.  It just stopped dead in it's tracks.

This supprises me.  I thought that UNIX was almost crash proof.  Due to the
G3's speed, I expected to get some overflows and stuff, but I didn't expect
it to just stop.

So is this normal?  Could Appletalk traffic between the Centris and the G3
bring down the NetBSD Machine?  Come to think of it. No,  I've been copying
LARGE files and folders between the Centris & G3 and the NetBSD machine is
still running fine.  It was only when I was connected to the ISP through
the SE.

Hmmm.
Thanks for any insight.
Roger